I was going to put a sad picture here, but why be depressed all the time?
Okay, just, I’m sure y’all know this already, but the first few episodes of a sageuk is nearly always filled with what I call the path where the hero/heroine has to walk through a valley of angst and dead relatives before establishing themselves in a lifelong mission of finding out why. So, the bloodshed is expected?
*passes you pre-emptive tissue*
Translations are not 100% accurate, but they should have the general gist of things. Character sheets are at the bottom.
- Portrayed by Han Hyo-joo, younger self portrayed by Kim Yoo-jung
- Age in drama: 11-49
- Born 1670
- Outgoing, intelligent, compassionate, good at math
- Her father and brother were framed and killed when she was young
- Had to keep hiding from Inspector Seo for same reason
- With the help of gisaeng Seol-hee (who was in love with her brother), took shelter at one of Pyongyang’s gisaeng houses and learned the arts
- Selected for service in the palace due to her natural intellect and generous nature
- At the same time Cha Chun-soo, her brother’s good friend, did his utmost best to keep her safe
- Eventually attracted the attention of King Sukjong and became Choi Sook-bin
- Was object of jealousy for Jang Hee-bin, but a great favourite with the queen