I usually stay away from romantic melodramas (if you define staying away as watching through my fingers and pressing fast forward with extreme prejudice…) but Huang Xiaoming is in the lead role, and I love to look at him almost as much as I do pandas, so here I am.
It’s almost certainly going to end in flames and suicide threats (the drama, not me). Lay your bets, people!
You can tell she’s barely restraining herself from kicking him in the shins.
This is Janine Zhang, who plays Lan Xiying in Black & White (she’s basically an expert on everything having to do with the law, medicine, and a damned good sharpshooter into the bargain). I would love to be her, but yeah. I’m not that awesome.
A long time ago Thundie wrote an article-essay on the treatment of male secondary leads in kdrama, and I felt inspired enough that I promised myself that I would write up a similar one about the female ones.
This is just something I’ve noticed, but the amount of hate towards female characters almost always beats the hate for male ones. And while on one hand it’s seriously not cool, on the other hand I think the tired old tropes women keep being thrust into have something to do with it.
Without further ado:
Down With Love is possibly the only Taiwanese idol drama I made my way through without retching, and uh, in honour of that, have the opening and closing themes!
Opening Theme: 只想赖着你 (Zhi Xiang Lai Zhe Ni/Only Want to Lean on You), Jerry Yan
Closing Theme: 只为爱上你 (Zhi Wei Ai Shang Ni/Only to Love You), S.H.E.
Hong Lou Meng/Dream of Red Mansions
- Okay, I don’t actually care for this version because the 1989 one was like, the end-all be-all of Hong Lou Meng adaptations, but after the clusterfuck of the selection process and the general pretty, I’m curious to see where this goes.
(My god, the trailer comes in 2 parts!)
- As for as I can tell from dramawiki, it’s about 2 people in love with a manipulative second male lead trying to separate them. (He had money, it helped.) Honestly, if it wasn’t Huang Xiaoming and Barbie Xu, I wouldn’t even look, but… the opportunity of a TWdrama, with an actress who’s not, you know, the type to fake idiocy.
(This thing is just so gorgeous.)
- Han Hyo-joo! Bae Soo-bin! Ji Jin-hee! Pretty historical clothing and intrigue (though at 50 episodes it’s a bit heavy)! Bae Soo-bin doesn’t get the girl, again!
- Ahh, what would a girl be without her fake-gay roommate? (Apparently missing all those rainbow-sparkly moments.)
- The summary’s somewhat sketch on details, but it’s Moon Geun-young being sexy and angsty. I’m really not going to pass that one up.
Oh! My Lady!
- Romantic hijinks between a male star and his housekeeper! With added age difference! I mean, I’m not expecting any Oscar-level acting, but it sounds fun.
Down With Love
- He’s a snotty lawyer who has no time for anything, she’s that hard-working girl who carries fridges on her back to earn money. This is a drama just waiting to happen. (Having actually watched all 26 leaked episodes, I can honestly say that this is a joy to watch.)